The Norfolk Heritage Committee is to advise and assist the Council of the Corporation of Norfolk County on all matters relating to Parts IV and V of the Ontario Heritage Act.
The Statutory Role of the Norfolk Heritage Committee shall be to advise and assist the Council of the Corporation of Norfolk County on all matters relating to the Ontario Heritage Act; to advise and assist Council on identifying, protecting, and promoting heritage resources in Norfolk County.
**NEW** Interactive WEB MAP of Heritage Designated Properties in Norfolk County
Owners of Heritage Designated Properties in Norfolk County…
If you are the owner of a Norfolk County property with a heritage designation, you are required to obtain the approval of the municipality prior to any alterations to said property. To apply for approval, please complete and submit the Norfolk County Heritage Alterations Application. Please note, there is no fee involved.
Once a property is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, the Corporation of Norfolk County is enabled to manage physical changes to these heritage resources through the Heritage Alteration Application process.
Through this process, the Municipality reviews site-specific applications for property changes being proposed to determine how the proposed changes to a designated property may enhance or adversely affect the integrity of the heritage resource.
Norfolk Heritage Committee Members (until November 30, 2022)
- Mary Caughill, Chairperson
- Karen Culver
- Jean Hamel
- Joan Norman
- Bob Wood
- Councillor Tom Masschaele
Duties of the Norfolk Heritage Committee
- advise and assist Norfolk County Council on matters relating to Parts IV and V of the Ontario Heritage Act
- act as liaison with the property owners
- research and keep an ongoing inventory of heritage properties
- identify, protect and promote heritage resources in Norfolk County
- network with other organizations and committees concerning heritage matters
Why a Property Would be Designated?
- architectural merit
- unique style
- historical background
- natural visual beauty
What Could be Designated?
Houses, barns, stores, bridges, public and industrial buildings, monuments, streetscapes and cemeteries
Archaeological sites, parks, natural areas and vistas
Benefits of Designation
- increases the value of the property
- helps preserve the County’s heritage
- a plaque is presented to the property owner
- the neighbourhood is enhanced
- community recognition of the heritage property
- encourages others to seek designation
Criteria for Determining Cultural Heritage Value of Interest
Under Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, a property may be designated if it meets one or more of the following criteria for determining whether it is of cultural heritage value or interest:
- The property has design value or physical value because it
- is a rare, unique, representative or early example of a style, type, expression, material or construction method,
- displays a high degree of craftsmanship or artistic merit, or
- demonstrates a high degree of technical or scientific achievement.
- The property has historical value or associative value because it
- has direct associations with a theme, event, belief, person, activity, organization or institution that is significant to a community,
- yields, or has the potential to yield, information that contributes to an understanding of a community or culture, or
- demonstrates or reflects the work or ideas of an architect, artist, builder, designer or theorist who is significant to a community.
- The property has contextual value because it
- is important in defining, maintaining or supporting the character of an area,
- is physically, functionally, visually or historically linked to its surroundings, or
- is a landmark.
For more information about heritage designation please phone: 519-426-5870 ext. 1347
NHC Meeting Minutes
- Norfolk Heritage Committee Terms of Reference and application form (PDF)
- Norfolk County Culture Map
- Ontario Heritage Act
- Ontario Architecture
- Help For Homeowners/National Heritage Trust
- Insurance and Heritage Properties