First named Cartwright’s Landing, after John Cartwright, who arrived in 1793, Port Rowan has been known as Wolven’s Landing and Dutcher’s Corners, as subsequent settlers held title to the land. In 1819, Port Rowan was named for Colonel Rowan, secretary to the Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. Port Rowan has long serviced the needs of the surrounding areas with numerous stores and businesses. Marinas and trailer parks in the Port Rowan area offer everything from birding, boating, fishing, sailing, and camping to winter ice fishing. Numerous accommodations are available in the area. Canada’s first Forestry Station Interpretive Centre is located nearby, as well as the national headquarters of Bird Studies Canada, and the village and mill at Backus Heritage Conservation Education Centre. The Erie Shores Wind Farm has recently developed about 20 minutes west of Port Rowan on Norfolk County Road 42. And for sun worshippers, Long Point’s sandy beaches are just minutes to the south.
- Email us or call 1-800-699-9038
Local Business Association:
* Hemson Consulting Report, page 8