Named for John Graves Simcoe in 1795, the first Lieutenant Governor of Ontario , the town was originally two separate hamlets. The current downtown started as Birdtown, named by William Bird, who settled in the early 1800s.
Population 14,777 (2011)
The north end of town, now known as “the Queensway”, was originally called Theresaville (in honour of Robert Nichol’s wife) as it grew around Aaron Culver’s saw and grist mill in the 1820s. When the post office established in 1829, Culver’s suggestion of Simcoe was approved. When the Talbot District formed in 1837, Simcoe became the seat of local government, a designation that has continued to modern day.
Simcoe is Norfolk County ‘s largest urban area and home to many important industries, including Canada ‘s largest ice cream plant and the Toyotetsu auto parts plant. Simcoe is home to a lush park system, many heritage sites, restaurants, shoppes, businesses and professional services, several hotels and motels, a full-service hospital, Simcoe Little Theatre , MyFM 98.9 radio and the daily Simcoe Reformer newspaper.
The Lynn Valley Trail connects the town to Port Dover. Annual events include the Norfolk Musical Arts Festival (February), Norfolk Wildlife Festival & Adventure Show (March), Eat & Drink Norfolk (April), Ice Cream Festival (July), Lynn River Music & Arts Festival (August), Norfolk County Fair & Horse Show (October) and Simcoe Christmas Panorama (November-December). GPS N42°50.57′ / W80°18.432’
- Email Norfolk County or call 1-800-699-9038
Local Business Associations: