Norfolk County’s strawberry growers grow more strawberries than anywhere else in Ontario – almost 400 acres, according to the most recent Census of Agriculture. We’re also the second largest strawberry-growing region in Canada.
There are many local foods and drinks to try from farm markets and restaurants that feature the Norfolk County strawberry.
Strawberry Farming in Norfolk County
Growing strawberries in Norfolk County is not for the faint of heart. Typically, each spring, frost warnings send strawberry growers into their fields all night to irrigate the strawberry plants with water. Ice forms on the strawberry plants and insulates them from the frost. Our farmers sometimes stay up for several nights in a row to make sure their crops are saved, and you get to taste sweet berries.
Check out our list of Norfolk County strawberry growers under Foods A to Z.
Norfolk County farmers grow traditional June-bearing strawberry varieties such as Wendy, Governor Simcoe and Jewel, as well as day-neutral or ever-bearing varieties which provide fruit until fall frost.
Tastings & Menus
- Villa Nova Estate Winery: Features Strawberry Sangria for tasting
- Blue Elephant Craft Brew House: Features Strawberry Lager on its flight of 4 beer samples
- The Combine Restaurant: Dessert menu in June features Brick Oven Pie with strawberry, rhubarb and ice cream. The Pavlova features strawberry sauce and strawberry fruit compote.
- The Barrel Restaurant: Features Local Strawberry Spring Mix Salad with Wendy-variety strawberries, bocconcini cheese, sweet onion, crumbled bacon, glazed pecans, all tossed in a cranberry vinaigrette dressing. Barrel also has Strawberry Tiramisu.
The Blue Elephant Craft Brew House brews Strawberry Lager craft beer (4.5%) for its pub and in its retail store. James the brewmaster sources the strawberries from Meadow Lynn Farms, less than 1km away.
The Cider Keg Farm Market produces non-alcoholic Apple-Strawberry-Rhubarb sparkling cider. It is available at the farm market near Vittoria as well as Sobeys stores across Canada (look in the produce section).
Rush Creek Wines in neighbouring Elgin County has produced Decadence, a strawberry-chocolate fruit wine that won a Silver Medal at the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition.
Villa Nova Estate Winery is offering tastings of Strawberry Sangria in its tasting room.
- Strawberry Pancakes (by Wholesome Pickins)
- Chilled Strawberry Soup (by Meadow Lynn Farms)
- Strawberries with Black Pepper & Balsalmic Reduction
- Strawberry Nachos
- Strawberry Salad (by Helen Hill of Turkey Point)
- Turkey Strawberry Pasta Salad (By Wholesome Pickins)
Dessert & Snack Recipes
- Sambuca Cake with Strawberries
- Sandwich with Strawberries (by 4 Seasons Farm Shop)
- Strawberry Crumble Pie (by Wholesome Pickins)
- Strawberry Pavlova
- Fresh Strawberry Peanut Dips (by Kernal Peanuts)
- Strawberry Pizza (by Meadow Lynn Farms)
- Strawberry Shortcakes with Marscapone Cream
- Strawberry Squares (by The Cider Keg)